FILL OUT YOUR INFORMATION BELOW TO BE CONTACTED
This, of course, is always one of the first questions a impact window shopper in South Florida has when starting the research process for impact windows.
The problem with answering this question, though, is the fact that windows have so many options, it can be very tough for one to truly know what the price for impact windows are going to be.
You have to factor in the glass type, frame color, frame type, materials, installation, etc. Notwithstanding, I’ll do my best here to give you some realistic price ranges as to what most people will spend. (And remember, these prices are AVERAGE, and can vary depending on the manufacturer, the company, etc.
Occasionally we will have a customer that just wants to purchase material only. We are a impact window company that has a great relationship with the top manufacturers in the business. If you are a homeowner or a contractor that is looking to purchase impact windows, you are definitely in the right place.
What determines the pricing for impact windows?
- Type of Window
- Type of Frame – Aluminum or Vinyl
- Type of Glass – Tinted, Lo-e, or privacy
- Type of opening – stucco, cbs, drywall, etc.
- Design pressures required per building code
- City or County Codes for energy efficiency
Types of Windows
- Single Hung Window
- Double Hung Window
- Casement Window
- Architectural Window
- Picture Window
- Horizontal Roller Window
- Awning Window
- Storefront Window – Commercial
There are commodity sizes which are designated by two numbers or two numbers and a letter. For the most part those sizes would be considered the normal sized windows. When actually measuring openings, windows have to be adjusted to custom size. The bigger the window, the higher the square footage becomes, in return more framing material is needed which reflects the cost of the window.
Choosing new or replacement windows can be very overwhelming. After careful thought and consideration, you’ve decided to buy Hurricane Impact Windows. So, what comes next?
Now you need to determine whether you want vinyl or aluminum frames. But again, with so many options, advantages and disadvantages, how do you know what type of frame you really need for your home?
How aluminum impact window costs compare to vinyl
Aluminum is usually the go to choice for impact window framing because it is more affordable and usually has higher design pressures, the pricing ranges depending on the size and style per opening. Vinyl Frames are tailored for greater energy efficiency, they come standard with laminated insulated glass depending on the manufacturer you have the option of argon gas or air in the thermal break. Vinyl frames are more expensive and again depends on the size and style per opening.
Your windows will have a major effect on the energy efficiency of your household. When you are shopping for new hurricane impact windows, you will need to consider which types of windows will offer you the best energy efficiency. Typically, vinyl windows are slightly more efficient than their aluminum counterparts. With new vinyl windows, you can save on your monthly heating and cooling bills.
Impact resistance is another key factor to consider when you are shopping for replacement windows. In order to remain intact under the pressure of hurricane force winds, your windows will need to be incredibly strong and durable. Overall, aluminum impact windows offer better impact resistance than vinyl windows. You can also ask your window installers to provide you with more information about the impact resistant qualities of each type of window.
Both vinyl and aluminum windows should be fairly easy for your window contractor to install. By choosing new impact windows that offer simple installation, you will be able to get your home up to hurricane code in no time. Whether you choose vinyl or aluminum windows for your property, you will want to make sure that you hire a reputable contractor for your installation. A trained window installation professional will make sure that your new windows are ready to withstand a major storm.
Here are 5 things you need to know about Hurricane Impact Windows: Vinyl vs Aluminum Frames:
- Cost – Vinyl windows cost about 20-30% more than aluminum options. Cost is always a big consideration, but depending on your specific needs, the extra investment may be worthwhile.
- Energy Efficiency – Vinyl windows are more energy efficient (thus the higher price tag), however both types of frames still provide much better insulation than a window that is not impact-resistant. Aluminum windows attract heat from the outside into the building, but for an added cost can be protected with thermal breaks to improve energy efficiency.
- Curb Appeal – For the most part, vinyl windows are more appealing to the eye and are available in a wide variety of finishes. However, they cannot be painted, so exact color matches may not be possible. Due to their thicker frames, they also may not suit the style of the building they are needed for. Aluminum windows can be painted and therefore more color options are possible for exact matches. Their thinner frames also have a more modern appearance, which may be more suitable for bigger, commercial buildings.
- Durability – Although both types of frames offer some resistance to scratches, marks and denting, vinyl windows are highly resistant. If they do become damaged, the exposed parts are the same color as the rest of the frame due to consistent use of one material throughout the frame. Comparatively, when there is damage to an aluminum window, the paint on the frame can be scratched off, revealing the metal underneath and making them less pleasing to the eye. The steel or zinc fasteners also have the potential to corrode over time. However, aluminum windows are stronger than vinyl.
- Maintenance – Aluminum windows require more maintenance such as paint touch-ups and lubrication of their metal moving parts. Vinyl windows are relatively low-maintenance.
Majority of homeowner in West Palm Beach paid an average of $1,862.00 in 2018.
Does not include:
- Any permits required for hurricane impact windows West Palm Beach projects.
- Inspection and/or West Palm Beach building fees.
- Materials and supply Palm Beach and Florida sales taxes.
- Materials and supply West Palm Beach sales taxes.
- Any general contractor fees, if used for the project. Such fees generally add another $223.44-$279.30 to the total.
How to choose what brand of window to buy?
1. All window companies or dealers represent one or more manufacturers of impact hurricane windows and doors.
It is similar to buying a stereo at Best Buy, you go to the store and ask the clerk what you are looking for and base your decision on what information is given to you, price, quality and warranty etc.
Best Buy carries a lot of different brands and manufacturers and it is the same way window companies operate.
However, unlike big department stores not all window companies carry the same windows and some dealers only carry 1 or 2 manufacturers and push those brands, because it is the only ones they sell.
All windows manufacturers have to go through Miami-Dade testing and/or State of Testing testing so that their products are approved so that they meet the Florida Building Code to be used for hurricane protection.
What this means is that a product can be Miami-Dade or Florida approved and meet code but not necessarily be the best fit for your building or project.
2. So how do you choose? Do your home work in first hiring the right contractor meeting criteria above.
Also that the company has plenty of choices in different window brands so that they cater to your needs, not theirs.
Any window company with prestige and a good reputation will have references, pictures of work and a showroom to compare products.
I always like to take my customers to existing jobs where my installers are working and show them the work in progress, work completed and the product we are proposing.
This also gives the potential customer to talk to the existing customer and get feedback about the work we are doing with them.
3. On a more technical level you should choose your impact hurricane windows and doors based on your needs for the product itself and the design pressure of the building.
How the installation affects the cost
- Window Type
- Window opening location
- Opening materials
- Size of window
- Window sill material
- Stucco patching/painting
- Lift Rental
The average cost for window replacement with hurricane impact windows varies on the size of the windows.
When you are looking to replace your windows give us a call and we will provide you a free estimate.
One of our experts in the estimating department will speak to you and give you the best options.
The Window Guys provides top-notch impact window installation service in the following South Florida cities and towns:
- Broward County Impact Window Installation
- Palm Beach County Impact Window Installation
- Miami Impact Window Installation
- Palm City Impact Window Installation
- Stuart Impact Window Installation