Living in a hurricane-prone area comes with its unique set of challenges and considerations, one of which is ensuring the safety and security of your home. Among the various protective measures available, investing in impact doors is a wise decision. However, with numerous options in the market, how do you choose the right impact doors for your hurricane-prone area? The Window Guys wants to help you make the best decision when purchasing new impact doors for your home or business. This is your guide through the essential factors to consider to make an informed choice.
Understanding Impact Doors
First things first, what exactly are impact doors, and how do they differ from regular doors? Impact doors, also known as hurricane doors, are specially designed to withstand the forces generated during a hurricane or strong storm. They are constructed with multiple layers of reinforced materials, making them highly resilient to impact from flying debris and strong winds.
Factors to Consider
- Building Codes and Regulations: Before making any decisions, check your local building codes and regulations. These codes often dictate specific requirements for impact doors in hurricane-prone areas. Ensure that your chosen doors comply with these regulations to avoid any legal issues down the road. All of our impact doors meet the requirements of South Florida building codes.
- Material: Impact doors come in various materials, with the most common options being fiberglass and steel. Fiberglass doors are known for their durability and resistance to corrosion, making them a popular choice. Steel doors are incredibly strong but may require additional maintenance to prevent rust. Consider your budget and the specific needs of your location when choosing the material.
- Design and Style: Impact doors are available in a wide range of designs and styles to complement the aesthetics of your home. While appearance is important, don’t compromise on the door’s structural integrity. Look for a design that combines both form and function.
- Energy Efficiency: Impact doors should not only protect your home during storms but also contribute to energy efficiency. Look for doors with high Energy Star ratings to help reduce your energy bills and maintain a comfortable indoor temperature.
- Impact Resistance: The primary purpose of impact doors is to resist high-velocity impacts. Ensure that the doors you choose meet industry standards for impact resistance. Look for labels and certifications that confirm their ability to withstand flying debris.
- Installation: Proper installation is crucial for the effectiveness of impact doors. Hire a professional installer with experience in hurricane protection products. A poorly installed door can fail to perform as expected during a storm.
- Cost: Impact doors can be an investment, but they are a valuable one for hurricane-prone areas. Compare prices from different suppliers and consider the long-term benefits, including potential insurance savings and increased property value.
- Warranty: A solid warranty is a sign of a manufacturer’s confidence in their product. Look for impact doors that come with a comprehensive warranty to provide you with peace of mind.
- Local Recommendations: Ask neighbors, friends, and local experts for recommendations. They can share their experiences and help you find reputable suppliers and installers in your area.
Choosing the right impact doors for hurricane-prone areas is a crucial step in safeguarding your home and loved ones. Take the time to research and consider all the factors mentioned above. Remember that these doors are not just a protective measure but also an investment in the long-term safety, security, and comfort of your home. When you choose the right impact doors, you can have peace of mind, knowing that your home is well-prepared to weather the storm. Contact The Window Guys of South Florida to get started with new impact doors and windows for your home or business.